Here we go, people – this week marks the start of the official ratings period for 2011. Excited? I sure as hell am.
So many new shows, so many new episodes, so much time in front of the box, all starting this week. It’s actually a little surprising as most things are starting “after the tennis” next week (thanks for that, Channel 7), although some shows are launching this week to try and establish themselves in our hearts, minds and IQ/PVR recording schedules. The last of the Oprah specials is on tonight, so look forward to seeing all the positivity that is her holiness the Ope and the worst ever rushed make-up job on Hugh Jackman after he injured himself flying in on that flying fox (and very quickly became an internet meme to die for).
- Oprah’s Ultimate Australian Adventure – Sun 7:30pm, Ch10
- Immigration Nation: The Secret History of Us – Sun 8:30pm, SBS1
- 6pm with George Negus – Weeknights 6pm, Ch10
- Glee (rpt) – Mon 7:30pm, Ch10
- Southland – Mon 11pm, GEM
- The Office (US) – Tue 8:30pm/9pm, Eleven
- Californication – Tue 10:05pm, Eleven
- Modern Family (rpt) – Sun 7pm & Wed 7:30pm, Ch10
- Raising Hope – Wed 8pm, Ch10
- Mother of Rock: Lillian Roxon – Wed 8:30pm, SBS1
- Fringe – Wed 9:30pm, GO!
- Party Down – Thu 8:30pm, ABC2
- The Shield (rpt) – Thu 10:30pm, 7mate
- Chopper Rescue – Fri 8pm, ABC1
- Macgyver (rpt) – Daily 2pm, Eleven
- Mork & Mindy (rpt) – Daily 4:30pm, Eleven
- Movie: Boogie Nights – Sun 9:30pm, GO!
- Movie: The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie – Mon 6:30pm, GO!
- The Australian of the Year Awards – Tue 10:30pm, Ch9
- Rock and Roll Nerd: Tim Minchin – Wed 10:4
- Movie: Batman: Gotham Knight – Wed 12:15am, GO!
SECRET TV PLEASURES
- NZ’s Next Top Model – Sun 7:30pm, Eleven
- Movie: Bran Nue Dae – Sun 8:30pm, ABC1
- The 7pm Project – Weeknights 7pm, Ch10
- Undercover Boss (USA) – Mon 8:30pm, Ch10
- The Trophy Room – Wed 8:30pm, ABC1
- V – Wed, 8:30pm, GO!
- Movie: Mary and Max – Wed 10:05pm, SBS1
- Movie: Speed – Fri 8:30pm, Ch10
AT YOUR OWN RISK
- Movie: Australia – Sun 8:30pm, Ch10
- Dexter – Mon 9:30pm, Eleven
- Fat & Fatter – Wed 8:30pm, ABC2
- Bob’s Burgers – Wed 8:30pm, Eleven
- Bionic Vet – Thu 8pm, ABC1
- Wallace & Gromit’s World of Invention – Sun 6:30pm, ABC1
- The Late Session – Tue 10:05pm, SBS1
- High Road, Low Road – Wed 8pm, Ch7
- Big J’s place – Sat 11:30am, 7mate
DO. NOT. BOTHER.
- Australian Open Tennis – STILL all the bloody time, Ch7
- Minute To Win It USA – Tue 7:30pm, Ch7
- Beat The Star (AU) – Thu 7:30pm, Ch7
- The Gadget Show – Sat 6:30pm, Ch10
- The Cube – Sat 7:30pm, Ch9
PHEW! Adding to this, next week we can expect the launches/returns of Biggest Loser: Families, Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods, Live From Planet Earth, My Kitchen Rules, Conviction Kitchen, Big Love – so much goodness, and so much more than that. Of course it won’t all be good, but we won’t know until we see it.
Some high points this week: the start of 6PM with George Negus; and distractions like the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie featuring the absolute star of the genre, Mel Blanc supplying the voices.
The Today Show Qld show experiment looked good, but didn’t deliver on the ratings as much as Ch9 would have liked – being thumped in the ratings by Sunrise toward the end of last week. Expect to see permanent changes to the lineup around the Today Show desk starting this week as it goes back to a single national show.
If you’re an Australian Open Tennis fan, it absolutely falls into the “Do. Not. Bother.” category as Ch7 cling tight to their plan of delaying the live broadcast into the markets not in the same timezone as Melboure. This means it’s 30min late in Adelaide, an hour late in Brisbane, and FOUR hours late in Perth (meaning the game is likely over). Twitter has been up in arms again about this approach by the network responsible, particlarly in comparison to Ch9 who are showing the ODI Cricket games live into all markets – even moving the news in BNE to accommodate the scheduled break in play. Make of that comparison what you will.
Oh, and for those that are interested… Home and Away is back this week. With a gang story line. How very ‘Bra Boys’ of the writers. Enjoy.